Legal Corner

-List Your Site Here! -- Targeted Advertising For Just Pennies A Day! -Tell A Friend - Bookmark This Page

LegalCornerTM - Business Taxes F.A.Q.'s

Find A Lawyer
Law Area:




Search By:


Q.How do I get a Federal Tax Tax Identification Number (EIN)?

A.Most banks require corporations and limited liability companies to obtain a Federal Employer Tax Identification Number ("EIN Number") as a prerequisite to opening a bank account regardless of whether the company will have employees. The EIN Number is to a corporation, what a Social Security Number is to an individual.

To apply for an EIN Number by telephone, you will need to: (1) complete I.R.S. Form SS-4, (2) call the IRS (see numbers below)and relay the information on the Form to the I.R.S. operator, (3) write down the EIN Number given to you by the IRS, and then (4) fax or mail the completed SS-4 form back to the I.R.S.

To obtain I.R.S. EIN Telephone Assistance:

  • 770-455-2360 (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina)

  • 516-447-4955 (New Jersey, and the following counties in New York: New York City, Nassau, Rockland, Suffolk, Westchester)

  • 978-474-9717 (New York (all other counties), Connecticut, Maine, Massachusettes, New Hamshire, Rhode Island, Vermont)

  • 816-926-5999 (Iowa, Minnisota, Missouri, Wisconsin.

  • 512-460-7843 (Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas)

  • 215-516-6999 (Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia)

  • 859-292-5467 (Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and West Virginia)

  • 901-546-3920 (Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tenessee)

  • 801-620-7645 (Alaska, Ariznia, Colorada, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the following counties in California: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Contra Costa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Marrin, Menocino, Modoc, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Jpaquin, Shasta, Sierra Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Yolo, and Yuba)

  • 559-452-4010 (California - all other counties not listed above - and Hawaii)

Copyright 1999-2024 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved. All Information on this website is subject to a Disclaimer and Use Agreement. This information is provided as general information only and should not be construed as legal advice. We advise you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel to address your own specific questions, facts and circumstances.