Legal Corner

-List Your Site Here! -- Targeted Advertising For Just Pennies A Day! -Tell A Friend - Bookmark This Page

LegalCornerTM - Copyright F.A.Q.'s

Find A Lawyer
Law Area:




Search By:


Q.How do I license my copyright?

A.Presently any one of the many exclusive rights owned by a copyright owner can be transferred separately. A copyright owner can transfer or license away the whole, or just a part, of his or her copyright. Generally, copyright transfers terminate 35 to 40 years after the transfer has been signed. If the copyright owner grants publication rights, the grant is good only for the earlier of 35 years after publication or 40 years after the written grant was signed.

A document transferring a copyright, or relating in any way to a copyright, can be and should be recorded with the United States Copyright Office. To record a document with the Copyright Office: (1) the document must specifically identify the work; (2) the document must be signed and notarized; and (3) the original copyrighted work itself must be registered with the Copyright Office. It is important to note that the Copyright Office will not assess the legal sufficiency of the document, nor will it interpret the content. The Copyright Office will merely record the document. If the content is proper, the recordation will provide constructive notice of the facts contained in the registered document.

copyright, copyright law, copyrights, register a copyright, copyright registration, information on copyright, copyright information, license a copyright, copyright license

Copyright 1999-2019 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved. All Information on this website is subject to a Disclaimer and Use Agreement. This information is provided as general information only and should not be construed as legal advice. We advise you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel to address your own specific questions, facts and circumstances.