Legal Corner

-List Your Site Here! -- Targeted Advertising For Just Pennies A Day! -Tell A Friend - Bookmark This Page

LegalCornerTM - Employment Contracts & Policies F.A.Q.'s

Find A Lawyer
Law Area:




Search By:


Q.How does a person file a complaint of employment discrimination?

A.. When an employee believes he or she has suffered from discrimination, the employee cannot immediately file a lawsuit in court. Prior to filing a civil court action, the employee or an attorney working on behalf of the employee must contact the Department of Fair Employment and Housing ("DFEH"). If the employee wants the DFEH to conduct an investigation, the DFEH will investigate and may prosecute the case against the employer. However, if the employee prefers to hire his or her own attorney, the employee may ask for an immediate right to sue letter.

To file a complaint of employment discrimination with the DFEH, call the appropriate telephone number found by viewing the DFEH Contact Information. If the matter falls within the Department's jurisdiction, you, or the person you represent, will be given an appointment for an interview at the nearest DFEH office.

Copyright 1999-2019 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved. All Information on this website is subject to a Disclaimer and Use Agreement. This information is provided as general information only and should not be construed as legal advice. We advise you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel to address your own specific questions, facts and circumstances.